You will need
- 4 6-oz. portions Alaska pollock, skinned and deboned
- 5 lbs. white fish bones, preferably Alaska pollock bones
- 6 stalks celery, halved
- 6 stalks fennel, halved
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 bouquet garni (bundle of parsley, thyme and bay leaves, tied in cheesecloth)
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced small
- 2 delicato squash, cut in half and cleaned
- canola oil
- salt and pepper
To make the fumet, in a stockpot, sauté the celery, fennel and onion until soft and fragrant. Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the bones, water and bouquet garni and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour. Strain and set aside.
Preheat a grill on high. Rub the squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut-side down on grill. Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes or until soft.
In a small saucepot, bring 1 quart of fumet to a simmer and add the red peppers. Cook until peppers are soft and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy bottom sauté pan until almost smoking. Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper. Add oil to coat the bottom of pan and sear fish for 4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. Place the squash, grilled-side up on a serving plate and carefully lay the fish inside. Ladle the sauce over the top and serve immediately.