You will need
- 1 pound squid tubes, cleaned and cut open
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 large shallot, cut in half
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 3/4 pound squid ink fettuccini
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- bunch basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the cream, bay leaf, peppercorns and shallot to a saucepan, bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/3. Remove from heat, strain and set aside. Toss the squid with oil, salt and pepper and grill for about 3 minutes or until the squid are opaque. Do not overcook.
Cook the pasta to al dente in salted water. Reserve some of the pasta water, drain pasta and return to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss over medium heat. Add the tomato and basil. If the sauce is too thick, add a little of the pasta water.
Divide the sauce into four pasta bowls and put the calamari on top of the pasta. Top with cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe by New England Aquarium chef Tim Ridge