You will need
- 2 pounds count neck clams, washed
- 8 cups (1/2 gallon) vegetable stock
- 3 scallions sliced, green part only
- 1/2 cup shallots, julienne
- 1/2 cup daikon radish, julienne
- 2/3 cup carrot, julienne
- 1 cup red Miso
- 1 cup sake
- 1 pound udon noodles, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
In a heavy-bottom soup pot, heat the oil until it shimmers. Add the shallot, carrot and daikon and sweat over a medium heat until the carrot is tender. Deglaze with the sake and reduce by two thirds. Add the stock and Miso and bring to a simmer. Add the clams and simmer over medium heat until clams open. Add the udon noodles and cook just to head through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle the clams and noodles into 4 bowls and pour the Miso broth over the top. Garnish with julienne vegetables and scallions.
Recipe by New England Aquarium Executive Chef Tim Ridge