Eligibility requirements (must meet all to apply for free programming):
- Open to organizations within Boston (all neighborhoods) and Cambridge.
- Open to non-profit, out of school time organizations that demonstrate financial need that restricts their ability to access New England Aquarium programming.
- Open to children grades 1 – 8 and accompanying chaperones.
- Organizations may apply for both a community visit and a community outreach.
Visits to the Aquarium and Outreaches are NOT booked until you receive a confirmation letter from our department with a reservation number. If you do not receive a response from us within two weeks of submitting an application, please call the Community Programs office to confirm your application was received.
Outside of Boston and Cambridge? Please see our school programs for details and pricing information.
Community Visits—Visit the New England Aquarium.
- Free group admission to the Aquarium may be requested for up to 75 people per organization.
- One adult chaperone must accompany every 10 youths.
- A member of the participating organization is required to attend a Field Trip Preparation Workshop before the date of the scheduled visit. One person per 50 requested tickets is required to attend a workshop.
- Please apply for free visits by completing the community visit application.
After School and Community Outreach Programs—Aquarium staff will present the program at your facility.
- Academic Year programs are available October – May, Monday – Friday, with start times between 3:30 and 4:00 PM. Weekend programs may be available.
- Summer programs are available July – August, Monday – Friday, with start times at either 10:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. Weekend programs may be available.
- Organizations may request educational outreach programs to be delivered to their site. Groups of 40 children or more may be split into smaller groups for safety reasons.
- Programs are 45 to 60 minutes in length. Topics include tidepools, penguins, sharks and lobsters.
- Programs will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to the high number of requests, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be accommodated.
- Please apply for free outreach programming by completing the community outreach application.
Tips for Scheduling Your Community Program
- Visit applications open in January
- Visit applications and workshops can take 1 month before scheduling your visit date. Please apply early.
- Outreach applications open in March
- Applications will be closed when the programs are full
- Visit and Outreach applications open in September
- Visit applications & workshops can take 1 month before scheduling your visit date. Please apply early.