How do I register my child?
Registration for members begins January 17, 2012. General registration begins February 5, 2012. Online registration is available exclusively during the Members-Only registration period, and enjoys a $5 discount in addition to the membership discount. All other reservations are made over the phone. Please call Central Reservations at (617) 973-5206. For general information, please call the Camp Programs office at 617-973-0250.
Who are our staff? What are the staff qualifications?
All primary Harbor Discoveries staff are First Aid/CPR certified or First Responder and Lifeguard certified. All lead camp staff are college graduates who have backgrounds in either education and/or scientific research. We also employ college interns, teen interns and Counselors in Training (CITs). All staff must attend an extensive training program prior to the start of camp and must pass the state-mandated CORI and SORI background checks. We are fortunate to have had more than a 75% return rate of our staff, and proud that 92% of our camper’s parents have noted that the professionalism of the Harbor Discoveries staff was better than at other summer opportunities. We also strive to provide continuing summer opportunities for campers who have aged out of the program through our volunteer and Youth Programs offices.
What is the schedule for camp?
Camp is held Monday - Wednesday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and from 9 a.m. Thursday to 1 p.m. Friday. (There is a Thursday overnight camping trip). No extended hours are available. During a typical week of Harbor Discoveries, campers spend approximately 2 days at the Aquarium and 3 days visiting various field sites. View this sample itinerary (pdf) for a Junior Camp.
This year, the first week of Camp starting July 5th 2011, will be a short week. The schedule will be roughly the same as others weeks, except that it starts on Tuesday rather than Monday.
Typically, what are the sizes of the camp groups?
16 (at least 1:4 staff:camper ratio)
What meals are provided?
For Junior and Senior camps meals and snacks are provided all week, including meals on the overnight. Bag lunches will include sandwich, drink, fruit and snack. If your child has allergies or dietary restrictions, please send lunch and snack to camp, and inform us of these restrictions in the health forms you return prior to the start of Camp. Please note that lunches are not provided for the Advanced camps. During the overnight (Thursday night); dinner, breakfast, and Friday’s lunch are provided for all levels.
What is the payment policy?
Online and phone registration is available to members only from January 17 to February 5, 2012, and for non-members starting February 6, 2012. All reservations made online must be paid in full at the time of registration. You will receive a $5 discount for registering online.
Registration by Phone
• A $50 non-refundable deposit via credit card is due at the time of registration.
• 50 percent of the total camp cost is due no later than March 9, 2012, and may be made by personal check or credit card. No purchase orders or billing permitted. If registering after March 9, 2012, a 50 percent non-refundable payment is required immediately via credit card.
• The final, nonrefundable balance is due no later than June 1, 2012.
• Registration deadline is June 1, 2012. Any registrations accepted after June 1 will require immediate, non-refundable full payment by credit card.
• All payments are non-refundable. Due to high demand for these programs, there will be no exceptions to this policy, even in cases of illness where participants are unable to attend. If a payment deadline is not met, you will be notified before your spot has been made available to other registrants.
• A $2 ticketing surcharge will be applied to all reservations
• Note that Registration Confirmation and Paperwork will arrive via email within 24 hours of registering.
Are scholarships available?
Limited need-based scholarships are sometimes available through the Education Department for City of Boston, Somerville and Chelsea residents. Boston residents may qualify for scholarships. For scholarship information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 973-0253 for details. Scholarship applications for Boston residents are available starting during February School Vacation Week. This summer's scholarship applications are due on April 1, 2011. Please note that applying for a scholarship precludes an individual from booking a reservation.