Concept Webs for the Components of a Coastline
This activity helps students describe the various components that make up a coastline.
- Chart paper or chalkboard
- Chalk, pens, pencils or markers
- Write down a coastline concept such as "salt marsh" in the middle of a big piece of paper or chalkboard.
- Draw a circle around it and have the students think of the main components that make up a coastline.
- Then have the students consider additional features that come to mind.
- Add those words and phrases connected by a line to the central idea.
- Continue to add descriptions of features for each new phrase added until you feel it gives a comprehensive picture of all that salt marsh encompass.
- Variation: This activity could also be done after visiting a site.
Concept web example