Each year, we are pleased to offer free admission to Massachusetts children in grades K-12 from schools that meet the criteria for financial need, which is determined by the percentage of students in the school who are eligible for the federal free or reduced lunch program.
- Open to K–12 schools in Massachusetts (pre-K, daycare and early learning centers do not qualify)
- K–12 schools demonstrating a minimum of 70 percent free or reduced lunch, designated by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
Free to Learn visits to the Aquarium
- Visits take place September through February
- Visits occur Monday to Thursday
- Schools must arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Weekends, vacation periods and Fridays are unavailable, and other blackout dates may apply
Free to Learn applications
The application for the 2015-2016 school year is now closed.
Here is some important information about applications:
- Applicant will be required to be the lead chaperone
- Each applicant can apply for up to 100 tickets
- There is no limit to the number of applications from each school
- Applicants must attend a Field Trip Preparation workshop every three school years* in order to redeem tickets
- Result letters are emailed in late May, early June
After school programs and Community Organizations
After school programs and other community programs are not eligible for the Free to Learn Program. Free admission is offered to many children from Boston community-based organizations. For more information or to see if your organization is eligible, see our requirements and complete this community program application form.
If you have been accepted to this program, you can call our Reservations Department at 617-973-5206 to book your Free to Learn field trip.
*new policy starting for the 2014-2015 school year
Made possible by:
The Lowell Institute