The ocean plays an important role in all our lives, yet it faces many challenges. Are you a school or educator that aspires to live blue™ and take an active role in protecting our world's oceans and environment? If so, nominate yourself or your school for a New England Aquarium Stewardship Award! We are looking to recognize both schools and educators that are taking concrete steps to help protect our blue planet. Winners will be featured on our website and in our education newsletter. Winners also will receive a prize that includes a free Aquarium program at your school next fall (some restrictions apply).
We are looking for schools that demonstrate environmental awareness through efforts to protect our planet and ocean and incorporate an ethic of conservation into the school culture and/or curriculum.
- Fostering a school-wide culture of care and respect for the environment
- Engaging in sustainability initiatives integrated with core curriculum learning goals
- Collaborating with the community (parents, neighborhood, city, etc.) to initiate or maintain effort for conservation
- And this school's project!
We are looking for teachers who are passionate about the ocean and work to promote an ethic of ocean conservation in his/her classroom and school. These educators ignite a sense of wonder about marine ecosystems and inspire students to care for and take action to protect our ocean.
Examples of activities they lead could include:
- Engaging students in learning about the importance of the oceans and how they are connected to all of us
- Providing students with opportunities to get involved with projects related to the oceans (i.e. in local watersheds, marine ecosystems and animals, etc.)
- Introducing challenges facing oceans and facilitating exploration of ways we can support ocean health
- Facilitating opportunities for students to engage in positive, concrete actions to help protect oceans
- Encouraging students to participate in broader (school, community, nation, etc.) ocean protection efforts
- And the activities of past award winners!
The deadline for Ocean Stewardship Award nominations is May 1, 2013.
Signature Corporate Sponsor of the Teacher Resource Center and programs 2012–2013.