Do you know an educator or school group that aspires to live blue™—to take an active role in protecting our world ocean and environment? If so, please nominate them for a New England Aquarium Ocean Stewardship Award!
We are looking for school groups that demonstrate consistent efforts to learn about how our lives are interconnected with oceans and aquatic systems. Through environmental awareness and actions, these groups incorporate an ethic of conservation into the school culture. Examples might include, but are not
• Organizing an ongoing campus or neighborhood energy conservation program
• Creating a school-wide composting or recycling program that integrates science skills such as data collection, analysis and reporting.
• Coordinating community events to raise awareness about local ecosystems and interesting species and community efforts to care for them.
• Writing persuasive letters to local officials regarding issues like trash disposal, public transit and energy efficiency
We are looking for teachers who are passionate about the oceans and work to promote an ethic of ocean conservation in their classrooms and schools. These educators ignite a sense of wonder towards marine ecosystems and inspire students to care for and take action to protect our oceans. Examples of activities they lead could include, but are not limited to:
• Engaging students in learning about the importance of the oceans and how our lives affect ocean ecosystems and are, in turn, impacted by them.
• Facilitating student involvement in projects relating to local watersheds, coastal ecosystems or species conservation, etc.
• Encouraging exploration of ways organizations are already working to support ocean health
• Encouraging students to participate in broader (school, community, national, etc.) ocean protection efforts
For specific examples on what school groups and educators can do to raise environmental awareness, check out our past winners!
Winners will receive a free Aquarium program at their school in the fall of 2014 ($400 value). Winners will also be featured on our website and in our education newsletter.
School Group: Open to all K-12 school groups in New England. A school group must be affiliated with a school and include a faculty advisor. Examples include: entire school, a club, classroom, etc. Self-nominations are welcome.
Educator: Open to all K-12 classroom teachers in New England. Self-nominations welcome.
Aquarium staff and active volunteers are not eligible until after at least one full year of separation from their employment or volunteer role.
May 1, 2014
Applicants will be reviewed by a committee of Aquarium staff and external colleagues. All nominees will be notified of results by June 1, 2014.
How to Apply
Complete the online nomination form.
School Group Category, click here. Educator Category, click here.
Successful nominations are supported by photos or videos of classrooms and projects as well as scanned samples of student work (artworks, essays, poems, etc). To include these materials in your nomination, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Ocean Award Nomination Materials.”
Signature Corporate Sponsor of the Teacher Resource Center and programs 2012–2013.