Sustainable Design Project Intern
Apply now for: Summer 2015
Time commitment: The intern will commit 2-3 days per week for a period of 6 (six) months
The New England Aquarium is seeking an intern to assist the Design Department with tasks and responsibilities directly relating to the pursuit of LEED Certification for Existing Buildings. The intern will provide direct support by conducting research and coordinating with internal departments while also providing administrative and digital assistance.
The intern will learn and utilize computer programs such as CAD and VectorWorks to provide recommendations, helping the New England Aquarium towards a prestigious certification for eco-friendly design and operation.
· Utilize programs such as Vectorworks to create and analyze models in collaboration with the Aquarium’s Design Department
· Conduct thorough internet research relating to LEED Certification for Existing Buildings
· Assist the Design Department with various tasks relating to the LEED project
· Assists with interdepartmental communication, primarily with facilities, via email and telephone
· Manages data related to the project using Microsoft Excel
· Other administrative duties including scanning and filing
· Provides exceptional and engaging customer service in all interactions
· The ideal candidate will have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework towards an architectural- or design-related degree (preferred but not required)
· A candidate must possess experience with prioritizing, completing assigned tasks quickly and effectively
· An ideal candidate is a quick learner who can rapidly implement new skills
· Candidates must be independent and focused but able to work well in a team environment
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other related programs
· Excellent communication skills in-person, over the phone, and written
Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
The New England Aquarium’s Project Management and Design Department handles all projects related to construction and aesthetics within NEAq. The Design Staff is responsible for the design and maintenance of all exhibits and public areas including fascias/tank surrounds, graphics, and animal identification signage. The staff also maintains and develops non-husbandry lighting, finishes, interactive elements, sculptural elements, exhibit habitats and audio-visual elements.