Apply now for: January and Spring 2015
Time commitment: At Least Two Full Days Per Week (8:00am - 6:00pm)
The Aquarist Intern position will assist staff with basic husbandry responsibilities of the New England Aquarium’s offsite holding facility in Quincy, MA, which cares for animals being quarantined and/or awaiting exhibit display. From sharks to corals to endangered shorebirds, working at the NEAq’s Animal Care Center presents an opportunity to care for a very diverse group of species, both small and large systems.
· Daily care, maintenance, and appearance of the facility, plus a significant amount of cleaning to maintain the quarantine environment
· Additional responsibilities include food preparation and surface feedings, cleaning filters, maintaining records, organizing dry storage
· Assisting with the transport of animals, and providing support to divers
· Special projects as needed, such as online research or local salt marsh collecting
· Strong interest in biology and marine science, previous experience with animals preferred
· This position requires physical labor, must be able to lift 40 lbs and be at least 18 years old
· Applicant must be able to work independently and as a team
· Ability to take and carry out multiple instructions in a timely manner
· Be comfortable working with live foods such as crickets and black worms, as well as handling deceased animals
· Scuba certification helpful
*Note: you must have your own transportation because this program is offsite at our Animal Care Center in Quincy, MA.