Apply now for: Summer 2016
Time commitment: At Least Two Full Days Per Week (8:00am - 6:00pm)
The Aquarist Intern position will assist staff with basic husbandry responsibilities of the New England Aquarium’s offsite holding facility in Quincy, MA, which cares for animals being quarantined and/or awaiting exhibit display. From sharks to corals to endangered shorebirds, working at the NEAq’s Animal Care Center presents an opportunity to care for a very diverse group of species, both small and large systems.
· Daily care, maintenance, and appearance of the facility, plus a significant amount of cleaning to maintain the quarantine environment
· Additional responsibilities include food preparation and surface feedings, cleaning filters, maintaining records, organizing dry storage
· Assisting with the transport of animals, and providing support to divers
· Special projects as needed, such as online research or local salt marsh collecting
· Strong interest in biology and marine science, previous experience with animals preferred
· This position requires physical labor, must be able to lift 40 lbs and be at least 18 years old
· Applicant must be able to work independently and as a team
· Ability to take and carry out multiple instructions in a timely manner
· Be comfortable working with live foods such as crickets and black worms, as well as handling deceased animals
· Scuba certification helpful
*Note: you must have your own transportation because this program is offsite at our Animal Care Center in Quincy, MA.
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
Please see our internship website for specific application requirements. Our website can be found here.