Apply now for: Spring 2014
Time commitment: 2-3 days/week; 12 week minimum starting in February; • This position will require some evening and weekend shifts.
The New England Aquarium is currently seeking a Harbor Discoveries Camp Intern to assist with curriculum development and daily operations related to the spring preparations for 2013 summer day camp programs. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter looking to hone their skills creating marine science curriculum and activities for youth in grades 4-10.
Harbor Discoveries Camp is an interactive marine and environmental science program that combines traditional camp activities with hands-on, experiential learning. Programs include behind–the-scenes activities in Aquarium galleries, excursions to Boston Harbor Islands, daily field trips to North Shore and South Shore habitats and an overnight experience. Nature serves as our outdoor classroom as we travel to explore aquatic environments.
This position will report to the Camp Programs Coordinator and will be an active participant in a team environment working to deliver quality experiences related to environmental education.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop marine science activities and curriculum to engage youth in grades 4-10 during our 2013 Harbor Discoveries Camp.
- Create End-of-Day wrap up activities and presentation to prepare youth for the next day’s activities and provide time for focused reflection.
- Provide administrative assistance relating to the management of camp registration and daily office tasks.
- Inventory, organize and coordinate the use of Harbor Discoveries Camp supplies and storage space.
- Provide on-the-ground support for our live blue Ambassadors trainings and events, a service learning program for teens ages 13 and older who are interested in serving the aquarium’s mission beyond the walls of the Aquarium. Participants will take part in different types of service-learning opportunities, which may include habitat clean-up and restoration, public education and outreach, and citizen science.
- Answers high volume of telephone calls, responds to voice mail and email messages.
- Performs position related duties as assigned.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all New England Aquarium staff, volunteers, interns, participants and visitors.
- Requires enrollment in undergraduate study.
- Interest in the fields of environmental education, biology, marine science and youth development.
- Experience working with youth (grades 4-10) in a camp setting preferred.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented; strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities; ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication (verbal and written), and relationship building skills.
- Preferred experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations and familiarity with NEAq programs.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and familiarity with Access required.
- Friendly, out-going personality and a great sense of humor indubitably required!
- 12 week commitment starting February 2013
- 2-3 days/week
- This position will require some evening and weekend shifts.
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.