Financial aid may be awarded to campers based on financial need, an application reviewed for completeness, and the child’s expressed level of interest via the application assignment. Please note that booking a reservation as a full-paying individual prevents you from applying for a scholarship.
Scholarship application priority deadline is March 2, 2018. Apply today!
Apply for a camp scholarship online or by returning a printable application.
Successful scholarship recipients will be required to pay a copayment for the program’s tuition, dependent on your household’s Gross Adjusted Annual Income (typically Line 37 from IRS Form 1040, or equivalent).
Annual Household Income
$50 $55 $115
$40,000 – $80,000
$100 $110 $230 >$80,000 Not Eligible Not Eligible Not Eligible
For information on how you can support this and other Aquarium programs, visit our Giving page.
What to Bring For Day Trips
Please be sure to label your belongings.
- Backpack or small duffel bag (with closures)
- Water shoes or old shoes that can get wet or muddy
- Plastic water bottle, filled with ice (On the first day of camp, campers are given a reusable water bottle to keep.)
What to Bring for Overnights
Please pack lightly and label all belongings. Program participants carry their own belongings. In addition to key items from the day trip list, please bring:
- Sleeping bag (pad and pillow optional) *Tip: A sweatshirt stuffed into a pillowcase makes for a great space-saving pillow.
- Warm clothes (e.g. sweatshirt and sweatpants)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Rain gear (raincoat and pants are best)
Meals and Snacks
Participants are provided snacks and lunch all week, including meals on the overnight. Bag lunches will include a sandwich, drink, and fresh fruit.
If your children have allergies or dietary restrictions, please note it/them on the paperwork you submit and inform the camp office at least a week before your child’s time at camp. You may need to send lunch and a snack with them to camp.
Items Not Allowed at Camp
There are certain items you should leave at home. Keep in mind that camp is an opportunity to make new friends, explore nature, and play in the world around us … electronics make such adventures less successful and fun. Instructors reserve the right to confiscate items deemed inappropriate for use during the program. These will be returned at the end of the last day of the program. Please be aware that lost and found items will not be mailed to participants if left at camp; all items must be picked up in the camp office.
Items not allowed include:
- Candy and gum
- Trading/Magic cards
- iPods® or personal stereos, MP3 and DVD players, and headphones
- Jewelry such as necklaces, earrings, and watches (unless waterproof)
- Money (no purchases of food or souvenirs will be allowed during programs)
Harbor Discoveries Camps Open House
This year’s Harbor Discoveries Camps Open House is scheduled for Saturday, June 30, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. This will be an informal opportunity for registered campers and their parents to meet the camp staff, learn about what to expect with the program, and ask questions. The Open House will be held in the Aquarium’s Ocean Center, in the Harborside Learning Lab. There is no set schedule—you may come and go at any point during the Open House.
Camp Pricing and Payment Policies
Junior and senior camps are $650 for members and $725 for nonmembers. Advanced camps are $825 for members and $900 for nonmembers ($1,550 – $1,650 for special two-week sessions). A $2 service fee will be added to each nonmember ticket booked by phone. Service fee is $1.50 for online registrations.
When to Pay
Registration online or by phone is available.
- A $75 nonrefundable deposit is due at the time of registration.
- 50 percent of the total camp cost is due no later than March 2, 2018. No purchase orders or billing are permitted. If registering after March 2, 2018, a 50 percent nonrefundable payment is required immediately.
- The final, nonrefundable balance is due no later than May 25, 2018.
- Any registrations accepted after May 25, 2018, will require immediate, nonrefundable full payment.
- All payments are nonrefundable. Due to high demand for these programs, there will be no exceptions to this policy, even in cases of illness where participants are unable to attend. If a payment deadline is not met, we will attempt to contact you before we make your spot available to other registrants.
How to Pay
If you have a balance, make payments by one of the following methods:
- Online – Sign into your Parent Dashboard to make payment
- By Phone – Call the Aquarium Reservations Department at 617-973-5206.
- Make payable to “New England Aquarium” and write the camper name(s) in the memo field of the check.
- Mail to:
New England Aquarium
Boston, MA 02110
Camp Parking, Drop-Off, and Pickup
Once you have registered, you can find a temporary Parking Permit in the “Forms” section of your Parent Dashboard. This permit allows you to park temporarily in the plaza in front of the Aquarium to pick up or drop off your child. Please clearly display your temporary parking permit. Aquarium staff will direct vehicles to park in the semicircle in front of the Aquarium. Monday morning check-in is more time consuming than any other morning. When dropping off a child, you may only park temporarily. If you want to speak to instructors at length, please plan to park your car in the closest parking garage at your own expense.
The program begins with drop-off between 8:45 and 9 a.m. If you arrive before 8:45 a.m., you and your child will need to wait near the Ocean Center entrance until the drop-off time period begins. All campers must be signed in to the program by an authorized adult unless guardians have elected in the Parent Dashboard to allow their child to check in to camp on their own. Per Board of Health regulations, this option is only available for campers 12 and older.
To accommodate busy schedules, Harbor Discoveries offers an early drop-off option! For an additional charge of $20 a day, campers may be dropped off at camp as early as 8 a.m. They will be properly supervised and engaged with fun activities, but program curriculum will not be delivered during this time. Please visit your Parent Dashboard to enroll in this option. Refunds are not available if a camper does not arrive in time for the Early Drop-Off period.
Pickup time for Monday through Wednesday is between 4:45 and 5 p.m. On Friday, plan to arrive between 12:45 and 1 p.m. Campers may not leave until they have checked out with their instructor.
Please notify the camp office ASAP if you will be late in picking up your child by calling 857-321-0069. If the camp office is not aware that you will be late, then any child who is not picked up by 5:15 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 1:15 p.m. on Friday may be taken to the Boston police station located near Government Center until a parent/guardian is able to retrieve the child. Your child will be without Aquarium staff supervision once under the supervision of the Boston Police Department. We will not take this step unless we are unable to reach an authorized adult for the camper.
We will not release children to take public transportation or taxi cabs without prior documented consent from the parent/guardian.
If you need to pick up your child early, please call 617-226-2425 at least 48 hours in advance. A staff person will call you back to make the necessary arrangements. While you may request an early release, it may not always be possible due to the many offsite activities planned. No refunds or price adjustments will be made for early pickups or for days missed.