Come hang out with the Northern fur seals and California sea lions! Sitting in the shallow water of their open-air New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center exhibit, you’ll interact and engage with one (or more) of these charming animals, which are known for their thick fur and streamlined appearance, one of the rarest animals found in U.S. zoos and aquariums.
How it works
- Upon entering the Aquarium, you’ll be escorted behind the scenes of the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center, where you’ll put on waterproof waders and learn how to safely interact with the seals.
- Under the guidance of a seal trainer, you’ll wade into the shallow section of the exhibit and interact with the seals and sea lions.
- Now’s your chance to interact with a marine mammall! Possible activities include rubbing belly, touching their flipper and kisses.
- Ages 9 and up
- Up to 3 participants
- Program runs from 10:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. every day from June to October
- $125 each non-member (does not include Aquarium admission), $110 for members
- Dress appropriately. Please note that you may get salt water on your clothing.
- Participants are not allowed to bring cameras in the exhibit due to animal safety. A professional photographer will be in the exhibit taking photographs, which will be available for purchase. Friends and family are invited to take photos from outside the exhibit if they are Aquarium members or have bought Aquarium admission.
How to Book
Reservations are required. Call 617-973-5206 and ask about the Take a Dip with the Fur Seals program. This program is available from May 15 to October. Thinking about booking a program before May 15? Book ahead for our Meet and Greet the Northern Fur Seals program, where you can meet the fur seals without getting in the water during colder weather.