Come meet our charming harbor seals! Get a behind-the-scenes look at the harbor seal exhibit, sit next to a trainer during a session. While on exhibit you will have a variety of opportunities to interact with the seals. Interactions vary from day to day and are done at the trainer's discretion depending upon how comfortable the participants and the seal are together. You may have a chance to rub a seal's belly and back, give some signals to a seal, get splashed, touch a flipper or even touch a seal's tongue. Most of the time the seals are willing to give a kiss as well!
How it works
- A trainer will meet you in the Aquarium Lobby and escort you behind the scenes of the Harbor Seal Exhibit.
- You’ll get information on how to safely interact with the seals, then head out to meet one of these charismatic animals during a training session.
- While you sit or kneel on the exhibit deck, a trainer will explain our training methods, tell you about harbor seals’ unique characteristics and give you a chance to interact with one of the animals.
- You may have a chance to give some training signals to get a seal to wave or stick its tongue out, touch a seal or even get a seal kiss!
- Ages: 7 and older (Children ages 7 to 9 must be accompanied by an adult.)
- Maximum number of participants: 3
- Program runs daily from 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (November to May 14)
- $75 members / $100 non-members (includes Aquarium admission)
- Wear shoes with traction. Please note that you may get salt water on your shoes and clothing, and the deck can be slippery. High heels are not allowed.
- Cameras are allowed, but they must have a wrist or neck strap to prevent being dropped into the exhibit. A professional photographer will be in the exhibit taking photographs, which will be available for purchase. Friends and family are invited to take photos from outside the exhibit.
How to Book
Reservations are required. Call 617-973-5206 and ask about the Meet and Greet the Harbor Seals program. This program is available from November through May. Already thinking about summer? Book ahead for our Take a Dip with the Harbor Seals program, where you can actually wade into shallow water and experience another way to interact with these animals.