Come meet our charming harbor seals! Get a behind-the-scenes look at the harbor seal exhibit, sit next to a trainer during a session. While on exhibit you will have a variety of opportunities to interact with the seals. Interactions vary from day to day and are done at the trainer's discretion. You may have a chance to rub a seal's belly and back, give some signals to a seal, get splashed, touch a flipper or even touch a seal's tongue. Most of the time the seals are willing to give a kiss as well!
How it works
- Check in at the Information Desk in the Main Lobby by 10:45 a.m. A trainer will meet you in the Aquarium Lobby and escort you behind the scenes of the Harbor Seal Exhibit by 11 a.m.
- You’ll get information on how to safely interact with the seals, then head out to meet one of these charismatic animals during a training session.
- Once in the exhibit with the trainer, you'll kneel close to the water's edge and the trainer will introduce the seal, explaining its unique traits, and teaching the participant about how the seal’s are trained.
- Participants will have the unique opportunity to be hands on with the seal and possibly feed it. Interactions vary depending upon which seal is involved and how comfortable the participant and the seal are interacting with each other.
- Throughout this program participants will gain a strong appreciation for marine animals and learn how to conserve and protect our oceans.
- After the program, the trainer will escort the guests off the exhibit and they will be free to explore the rest of the Aquarium.
- Ages: 7 and older (Children ages 7 to 9 must be accompanied by an adult who is a paid program participant.)
- Maximum number of participants: 3
- Program runs daily from 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (October through May, dates are subject to vary)
- $75 plus the cost of admission, admission required ($65 for members)
- Wear closed-toe shoes with traction. High heels are not allowed. The exhibit is outdoors so dress accordingly. Please note that you may get salt water on your shoes and clothing, and the deck can be slippery. Rain jackets can be provided on request.
- Cameras are allowed, but they must have a wrist or neck strap to prevent being dropped into the exhibit. A professional photographer will be in the exhibit taking photographs, which will be available for purchase at the Sharpshooter desk in the Main Lobby. Friends and family will be able to take pictures from outside the exhibit.
- • The program occurs during a scheduled training session. If the participant does not arrive before 11:15 a.m., they will miss their program. There will be no refund for participants that do not show up or arrive late.
How to Book
Reservations are required. Call 617-973-5206 and ask about the Meet and Greet the Harbor Seals program. This program is available from November through May. Already thinking about summer? Book ahead for our Take a Dip with the Harbor Seals program, where you can actually wade into shallow water and experience another way to interact with these animals.