Come behind the scenes and get to know a Northern fur seal! Join marine mammal trainers in the open-air New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center exhibit as they work with these charismatic animals. While on exhibit you will have a variety of opportunities to interact with the seals. Interactions vary from day to day and are done at the trainer's discretion depending upon how comfortable the participants and the seal are together. You could touch a seal's thick fur, get a flipper shake or even play a game of "copy cat." Most of the time the seals are willing to give a kiss as well!
How it works
- A trainer will meet you in the main lobby to escort you behind the scenes of the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center.
- You’ll get information on how to safely interact with the seals, then head out to meet one of these charismatic animals during a training session.
- While you are on deck, a trainer will explain our training methods, tell you about fur seals’ unique characteristics and give you a chance to interact with one of the animals.
- You may have a chance to give some training signals, touch a seal or even get a seal kiss!
- Ages 7 and older (Children ages 7 to 9 must be accompanied by an adult.)
- Up to 3 participants
- Program runs daily from 10:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., through June 30, 2013
- $75 members / $100 non-members for each participant (includes Aquarium admission)*
- Wear shoes with traction. Please note that you may get salt water on your shoes and clothing, and the deck can be slippery. High heels are not allowed.
- Cameras are allowed, but they must have a wrist or neck strap to prevent being dropped into the exhibit. A professional photographer will be in the exhibit taking photographs, which will be available for purchase. Friends and family are invited to take photos from outside the exhibit.
How to Book
Reservations are required. Call 617-973-5206 and ask about the Meet and Greet the Northern Fur Seals program.