Come behind the scenes and get to know a Northern fur seal! Join marine mammal trainers in the open-air New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center exhibit and you will have a variety of opportunities to interact with the seals. Interactions vary from day to day. You could touch a seal's thick fur, get a flipper shake or even play a game of "copy cat." Most of the time the seals are willing to give a kiss as well!
How it works
- Check in at the Aquarium's Information Desk in the Main Lobby by 10 a.m. A trainer will meet you in the main lobby to escort you behind the scenes of the marine mammal center.
- You’ll get information on how to safely interact with the seals, then head out onto the flat deck of the fur seal exhibit with a trainer to meet one of these charismatic animals during the training session at 10:30 a.m.
- While you are on deck, a trainer will introduce the fur seal, explaining the fur seal’s unique traits and teaching the participant about how the fur seals learn new skills.
- Participants will have the unique opportunity to interact and possibly feed the seal. Hands-on activities vary depending upon which fur seal is involved and how comfortable the participant and the seal are interacting with each other. Throughout the program, participants will gain a strong appreciation for marine animals and learn how to help protect these animals and our blue planet.
- After the program, the trainer will escort the guests off the exhibit and they will be free to explore the rest of the Aquarium.
- Offered weekends at 10:15 am;
- Lasts approximately 30 minutes
- $75 plus Aquarium admission ($65 for Members), Aquarium admission is required
- 2 participants
- Age limits 7 years old - adult (7 - 9 year olds must be accompanied by a paying adult who is also participating in the program.)
- Wear closed-toe shoes with traction. High heels are not allowed. The exhibit is outdoors so please dress accordingly. Please note that you may get salt water on your shoes and clothing, and the deck can be slippery.
- Cameras with a neck or wrist strap are allowed . A professional photographer will be in the exhibit taking photographs, which will be available for purchase at the Sharpshooter counter for an additional fee. Friends and family are invited to take photos from outside the exhibit if they are Aquarium members or have bought Aquarium admission.
- The program occurs during a scheduled training session. If the participant does not arrive before 10:30 a.m., they will miss the program. There will be no refund for participants that do not show up or arrive late.
How to Book
Reservations are required. Call 617-973-5206 and ask about the Meet and Greet the Northern Fur Seals program.