Learn exactly what it takes to run the New England Aquarium day to day.
From making sure the animals are healthy to inspecting the tanks and introducing new animals into the exhibits, Aquarium biologists work hard every day to make sure the Aquarium runs smoothly. (After all, the animals still need to eat on weekends and holidays!) Now it’s your chance to get a peek at the life behind the glass.
Join an educator for a personalized behind-the-scenes tour of one of our many galleries. You will learn what the animals eat, how their tanks are maintained, how sick animals are nursed back to health, and other insider tidbits.
Our Behind-the-Scenes Tours
- Are for visitors age 7 and older, and are especially interesting for adult visitors
- Start daily at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. from the Information Desk in the Aquarium Lobby and last between 30 and 45 minutes
- Are offered for groups of up to eight people, including chaperones
- Cost $20 per person ($10 for Premium-level members, $18 for Standard-level members) plus Aquarium admission
- Allow photography and encourage questions for the educators
- Are booked at the Information Desk in the Aquarium Lobby, online or by calling Central Reservations at 617-973-5206
- Begin promptly at the scheduled time; after 10 minutes, late arrivals can not be accommodated and no refund will be given
- Children ages 7-15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Tours are also available for school groups of grades 3 to 12.
To get even more out of your tour, download the Behind the Scenes Tour scavenger hunt(pdf).