Sea Squirts: Ages 2 to 4 years old
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Sunday class at 9:30 a.m. or 11:00 a.m.
These classes are a fun way for young children to learn about marine and freshwater animals while developing their motor, language, and socialization skills. Classes are for children ages 2 to 4 years old and encourage the development of early science skills such as observation and exploration. Each class is an hour long and can include songs, art projects and movement activities that help reinforce topic themes and increase preschool readiness. Caregivers and children start each class in Aquarium’s Ocean Center and end in the Aquarium’s main building with a guided visit to an exhibit related to the day’s topic.
Sea Squirts Advanced: Ages 4 to 5 years old
Sundays or Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
Sea Squirts Advanced follows the same curriculum (schedule, format, and topics) as Sea Squirts with instruction and information scaled up for older children. These classes are a great fit for pre-K and K1 students to deepen their knowledge of the oceans and the Aquarium while having fun with their caregiver and other children their age.
NOTE: Younger siblings 2 to 4 years old are permitted to accompany their siblings to Sea Squirts Advanced as registered participants, but the class will be tailored specifically to children 4 to 5 years old.
For children 12 to 24 months, check out our Sea Squirts Preview program!
Program Topics and Dates
Registration for 2019 classes is open online and by phone at 617-226-2123.
January – February
Giant Ocean Tank
Each week we will learn about a different kind of animal that lives in our largest exhibit as we explore the diversity found top to bottom in our Giant Ocean Tank.
- Tuesdays: January 8, 15, 22, 29
- Wednesdays: January 9, 16, 23, 30
- Thursdays: January 10, 17, 24, 31
- Sundays: January 13, 20, 27, Feb 3
March – April
Ponds and Rivers
Come join us to learn about animals that live in freshwater and some of the amazing things they do—including going through metamorphosis!
- Tuesdays: March 19, 26, April 2, 9
- Wednesdays: March 20, 27, April 3, 10
- Thursdays: March 21, 28, April 4, 11
- Sundays: March 24, 31, April 7, 14
April – May
Just Like You and Me
Compare how animals at the Aquarium live their lives so much like us. They learn, play and even go to the doctor just like we do!
- Tuesdays: April 23, 30, May 7, 14
- Wednesdays: April 24, May 1, 8, 15
- Thursdays: April 25, May 2, 9, 16
- Sundays: April 28, May 5, 12, 19
May – June
Hide and Seek
September – October
Rainbow Tidepool 1
Part one of an eight week series. Learn about local tidepool animals that are red, orange, yellow and green.
- Tuesdays: September 10, 17, 24, October 1
- Wednesdays: September 11, 18, 25, October 2
- Thursdays September 12, 19, 26, October 3
- Sundays: September 15, 22, 29, October 6
October – November
Rainbow Tidepool 2
Part two of an eight week series. Learn about local tidepool animals that are blue, purple, white and black.
- Tuesdays: October 15, 22, 29, November 5
- Wednesdays: October 16, 23, 30, November 6
- Thursdays: October 17, 24, 31, November 7
- Sundays: October 20, 27, November 3, 10
November – December
Each week we will learn a bit more about our fantastic fishy friends; what makes a fish a fish and what makes each one so uniquely cool.
- Tuesdays: November 12, 19, December 3, 10
- Wednesdays: November 13, 20, December 4, 11
- Thursdays: November 14, 21, December 5, 12
- Sundays: November 17, 24, December 8, 15
Under each program description you will find a button to register online. Click the button for the series you’d like to attend, then select the day and time that works for you. You may also register by phone at 617-226-2123.
Each series consists of four weekly classes. There is a fee of $75 for members and $120 for nonmembers for each series of four classes. Adults are included in the session cost of each child. Aquarium admission is included in the cost for nonmembers as classes end in the Aquarium. A $2 service fee will be added to each ticket for nonmembers.
Please note that we cannot provide make up classes or refunds for missed classes.