An Adults-Only Member Evening
Thursday, March 30, 2017
6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Come enjoy a special 21+ evening with your friends and fellow members exploring the Aquarium, enjoying a beverage from our cash bar (wine, beer, soft drinks, and, of course, our signature Fin & Tonic), and a quick bite from our pub food and hummus stations.
Why should kids have all the fun? Tonight, we’re throwing it back to the days of talking science over a folding table in the cafeteria. Our Adult Science Fair won’t feature any exploding volcanos (sorry), but will feature scientists from the Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life at the New England Aquarium sharing their work and research from the field.
Our featured scientists will be located around the Aquarium talking about:
- Sharks and Ground Fish: Learn about the fancy new tags they are putting on sharks to show where they go and what they do (including devices that you are probably carrying around right now).
- Ocean-Health Hormones: See how scientists have to come up with creative ways to study health in marine species using baleen plates, respiratory vapor (whale “blow”), and even poop!
- North Atlantic Right Whales and Entanglement: Meet biologists who curate the photo-identification catalog and conduct seasonal field surveys collecting valuable data on the health and population trends of this critically endangered species.
- Lobster Lab: Did you know the shell color of a lobster can change depending on its diet? Meet some of these animals and speak with our scientist who hatches and raises early-stage lobsters to study shell disease and diet.
- Aquaculture: Come learn about aquaculture, our fisheries assessment tools, and how we are helping to promote practices that are better for the environment and marine species.
Member-exclusive event. You must be 21 or older to attend.
Tickets are required and are $10 per person. Each member household is permitted up to eight (8) tickets. Your membership must be valid on both the day you purchase tickets and the date of the event. Memberships are nontransferable, and someone from the member household must be present for the group to be admitted.
While we will have lite bites available, this is not a dinner event. Members seeking meal options are encouraged to have dinner at home or visit one of the many restaurants in the area.
Share your pictures on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the hashtags #FinAndTonic and #NEAQ. We’ll project your posts on the screens at the top of the Giant Ocean Tank throughout the evening.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call 617-973-6564.