We are committed to an Aquarium that is open and accessible to everyone.
Visitors using wheelchairs and visitors with visual impairments are welcome at the Aquarium free of charge. American with Disabilities Act (ADA) defined service dogs are also welcome, but must be always under control due to the nature of the facility and the animals under our care.
Visitors with hearing impairments also benefit from description panels throughout the Aquarium. These panels include exhibit descriptions, species identification, discussions of conservation issues, and much more. Many of the descriptive panels include photographs or diagrams as well as text.
Many Aquarium exhibits incorporate elements that are helpful to visitors with visual impairments, such as oversized typefaces, bold illustrations, and colorful graphics. Many of the descriptive panels include photographs or diagrams as well as text.
- Visitor drop-off and pickup is allowed at the Aquarium’s main entrance.
- There is one automated doorway (enter from the front plaza).
- The Aquarium is 237 yards away from the MBTA Aquarium Station (on the Blue Line)
- An elevator provides wheelchair access to the Aquarium station and platforms.
- For more information about public transportation access, call the MBTA’s Customer Support Line at 617-222-3200/ 617-222-5146 (TYY) or visit the MBTA’s accessible services page
Interpreters for Hearing Impaired
An American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter is available from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the first Sunday of every month. ASL interpreters can be arranged to enhance the Aquarium experience for visitors who are hearing impaired. Assistive listening devices are also available at the Information Desk and Simons IMAX Theatre Box Office.
Groups of 15 or more can arrange a special guided tour by calling 617-973-5206.
For reservations, please call 617-973-5206 at least two weeks in advance. Tours are based on availability.
Text Relay Services
You can dial 711 on your telephone and be connected with a TRS operator. Once connected with an operator, provide the operator with the Aquarium phone number: 617-973-5206. This free service will connect you to the Aquarium where we will be able to answer any of your questions.
- At the Edge of the Sea exhibit on the third Level, visitors are encouraged to gently touch and examine sea stars, periwinkles, horseshoe crabs, and other animals in this exhibit.
- The Temperate Waters Gallery on the second level has a textured handrail to help visitors understand evolution, survival in harsh habitats, and the function of fish shape.
- At The Trust Family Foundation Shark and Ray Touch Tank on the first level, visitors can reach out and gently stroke cownose rays, bamboo sharks, and other species of animals as they swim gracefully through the water.
- At the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center, visitors can explore various animal artifacts such as seal flipper bones and skulls as well as various interactives.
Simons IMAX Theatre
The following options are available for selected IMAX films
- Assistive listening devices
Wheelchair-accessible seating is located at the top of the theatre. There is space for up to six wheelchairs. Elevator access will bring you to the top of the theatre.
Aurora, Asteria, and Cetacea boats
- One wheelchair-accessible restroom at rear of main deck
- Wheelchair access to main deck only; including exterior bow and stern (decks 2 and 3 accessible by stairway)
- Galley located on main deck and/or rear
Available in the Aquarium lobby, the guide includes a map of the Aquarium.
The Aquarium has three wheelchairs that guests may borrow for free. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To sign out a wheelchair, please speak to our staff at the Information Desk in the main lobby. A driver’s license is required in order to rent.
Medical and Emergency Assistance
Please contact a staff member at the Information Desk or the closest staff member to you in an emergency.
For allergen information or questions regarding menu items in the Harborview Café, please contact our café managers at 617-590-2540.
Automated External Defibrillators
Two automated external defibrillators (AED) are located throughout the Aquarium and one in the Simons IMAX Theatre. First-responder personnel have been trained in their use.
If you have special accessibility needs or questions, please call Central Reservations at 617-973-5206.
Cognitive Special Needs
The Aquarium has affiliated with MagnusCards, a free app to help people with cognitive special needs learn life skills. The Aquarium card decks take a step-by-step approach to help people learn about visiting the Aquarium. Visit the MagnusCards site for more details about the free app.
Wheelchair and Stroller Access
Visitors using wheelchairs are welcome at the Aquarium free of charge. Every part of the Aquarium is open to visitors with wheelchairs or strollers.
Accessibility Features Include
A lowered wheelchair-accessible ticket window to the far left of the ticket booth
First-floor elevators for wheelchairs and strollers in the main building located in the Tropical Gallery
An elevator for strollers and wheelchairs in the West Wing special exhibit area to the right of the entrance
Accessible restrooms in the lobby on Level 1 and to the left of the elevator just outside the Harbor View Café on Level 2
Many exhibit tanks that either extend to the floor or feature eye-level viewing
Ramps for strollers and wheelchairs in the New Balance Foundation Marine Mammal Center
A stroller check behind the Information Desk in the lobby
Elevator access to the Harbor View Café on Level 2 of the Aquarium
Benches conveniently located throughout the building
Wheelchair and stroller access to the Gift Shop, located on Level 1
Eight wheelchair spaces in the Simons IMAX® Theatre; unfortunately, strollers are not admitted to the theater, but are stored in a secure area while you enjoy the film.