Love penguins? Passionate about educating people about the environment? Volunteer at the Aquarium!
Whether you’re interested in a marine-related career or just want to get your feet—and hands—wet, the Aquarium is the perfect place to volunteer.
Why Volunteer at the Aquarium?
- Discover what goes on at the Aquarium behind the scenes
- Work toward the Aquarium’s mission to protect the blue planet
- Meet others who are passionate about the environment
- Gain valuable, hands-on experience
- Network with professionals and other volunteers
What Do Volunteers Do?
- Prepare food for the penguins, fish, and seals
- Feed the animals in the Giant Ocean Tank
- Educate and interact with visitors
- Make ice toys for the seals
- Design surveys for the Teacher Resource Center
- Conduct research on conservation projects
- Take photos at special events
Volunteer opportunities are available year-round in many different departments. Most positions require a six-month commitment, and volunteers work one full day a week (8 a.m.- 6 p.m.). Limited weekend positions, short term and one-shot opportunities are also available.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Visit our online volunteer portal for more information and to begin the application process.
- Note that there is a waiting list for weekend positions.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old to work hands-on with the animals.
- Applicants who are at least 16 but not yet 18 years old are eligible to apply for our Visitor Education position or look into our Teen Programs.
- Most positions require a six month commitment.