Love penguins? Curious about what’s going on with the anacondas? Passionate about educating people about marine animals and the environment? Volunteer at the Aquarium!
Some of our volunteers even go on to pursue their volunteer areas professionally, so whether you’re interested in a marine-related career or just want to get your feet—and hands—wet, the Aquarium is the perfect place to volunteer your time and energy.
Why Volunteer at the Aquarium?
- Discover what goes on at the Aquarium behind the scenes
- Work toward the Aquarium’s mission
- Meet others who are passionate about the world of water
- Gain valuable, hands-on experience
- Network with professionals and other volunteers
- Receive excellent benefits
What Do Volunteers Do?
- Prepare food for the penguins, fish, and seals
- Feed the animals in the Giant Ocean Tank
- Educate and interact with visitors
- Make ice toys for the seals
- Design surveys for the Teacher Resource Center
- Conduct research on conservation projects
- Take photos at special events
Volunteer opportunities are available year-round in many different departments. Most positions require a six-month commitment, and volunteers work one full day a week (8 a.m.- 6 p.m.). Limited weekend positions, short term and one-shot opportunities are also available.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. To begin the application process, fill out our online application form and you will receive an e-mail acknowledgement when we receive your application. Due to the high volume of applications, it may take up to two weeks for us to respond to inquiries. We appreciate your patience in waiting for our response! If selected, we will contact you to set up an in-person interview with the Volunteer Programs and Internships Office, which will be followed by a second interview with the respective departments.
Note that there is a waiting list for weekend positions. All applications will be kept on file for three months. Applicants must be at least 18 years old to work hands-on with the animals. Applicants who are at least 16 but not yet 18 years old are eligible to participate in our Aquarium Guide Training program. Most positions require a six month commitment.
As a volunteer with the New England Aquarium, you’ll work closely with marine biologists and aquarists to care for animals. You’ll go behind the scenes at our exhibits and experience what the animals are like up close. In addition, a volunteer position is an opportunity to meet and network with people who feel passionately about our blue planet.
Other Benefits of Volunteering with the Aquarium
- Membership to the New England Aquarium
- Free passes to the Aquarium
- Discounted and free admission to local museums and cultural institutions in the greater Boston area
- Discounted tickets to Six Flags New England, Loews, AMC, and Showcase Cinemas
- Free Whale Watch passes
- Free admission to the Simons IMAX Theatre at the New England Aquarium
- Discounts in the Aquarium Gift Shop and Café
- Invitations to special events